From: cncf-images-bounces@... <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of duanshiqiang1@... <duanshiqiang1@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:18 PM
To: kubernetes-sig-aws
Cc: cncf-images@...
Subject: Re: [cncf-images] Kubernetes AMI discussion

As a user of kubernetes on AWS (using kube-aws to provision kubernetes cluster), I feel baking Kubernetes into an AMI is quite strange and probably won't work out. Using tools like kops and kube-aws is so easy and feels to be the right way to go.

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 7:22:58 PM UTC+8, Stuart Williams wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in moving this forwards.

I've started a discussion document with the intention that we'll nail down the content of the AMI and steps required to assemble and test it, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l95wotZnQMLkkaXC46mtyfguepCYVBCv_m-_WiqJyUk/edit#heading=h.heekxxwovp25

Please comment and/or add questions.

I'll follow up again early next week.

Re: Kubernetes AMI discussion

Stuart Williams

On 22 June 2017 at 05:18, <duanshiqiang1@...> wrote:

As a user of kubernetes on AWS (using kube-aws to provision kubernetes cluster), I feel baking Kubernetes into an AMI is quite strange and probably won't work out. Using tools like kops and kube-aws is so easy and feels to be the right way to go.

The discussion doc[1] attempts to explain the goal, which is not to produce an AMI - it's to put a community-owned Kubernetes entry in the AWS Marketplace. The idea received general support in the SIG-AWS call, which is why I wrote it up.

One way to do this is via an AMI, but a CloudFormation variant is also possible, (I understand the Marketplace supports CloudFormation now).

I note, there is already an AMI in kube-deploy[2].

I differentiate in the doc between an ephemeral deployment using CloudFormation and kubeadm (of which there are also existing examples) and one based on kops - which could also be submitted to the Marketplace and matches a pattern recommended for AWS users (EC2 instance as resource/cluster controller).

The Marketplace opportunity is to reach more users and help them get Kubernetes up and running on AWS.

duanshiqiang1@...

As a user of kubernetes on AWS (using kube-aws to provision kubernetes cluster), I feel baking Kubernetes into an AMI is quite strange and probably won't work out. Using tools like kops and kube-aws is so easy and feels to be the right way to go.

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 7:22:58 PM UTC+8, Stuart Williams wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in moving this forwards.

I've started a discussion document with the intention that we'll nail down the content of the AMI and steps required to assemble and test it, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l95wotZnQMLkkaXC46mtyfguepCYVBCv_m-_WiqJyUk/edit#heading=h.heekxxwovp25

Please comment and/or add questions.

I'll follow up again early next week.

Re: Kubernetes AMI discussion

Stuart Williams

Update:

I'll put this on the agenda for the next SIG-AWS call.

On 2 June 2017 at 13:22, Stuart Williams <stuart@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in moving this forwards.

I've started a discussion document with the intention that we'll nail down the content of the AMI and steps required to assemble and test it, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l95wotZnQMLkkaXC46mtyfguepCYVBCv_m-_WiqJyUk/edit#heading=h.heekxxwovp25

Please comment and/or add questions.

I'll follow up again early next week.

Kubernetes AMI discussion

Stuart Williams

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in moving this forwards.

I've started a discussion document with the intention that we'll nail down the content of the AMI and steps required to assemble and test it, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l95wotZnQMLkkaXC46mtyfguepCYVBCv_m-_WiqJyUk/edit#heading=h.heekxxwovp25

Please comment and/or add questions.

I'll follow up again early next week.

Re: CNCF AMIs and Marketplace

Joe Beda

Huddling on this at the leadership summit sounds like a good plan.  Honestly I'm just out of the loop and wondering where it is so I can get back in :)

We should make sure we take some notes and send an update to the greater SIG as we get details on what's happening.

Joe

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Joe,

As far as I was aware, this work lives in SIG-AWS.  Stuart has been at
most of the SIG-AWS meetings, but missed the last two due to a
personal matter.

--> In any case: I strongly agree that we should push this thing on.
Keen to do whatever I can here.

Kris, all,

Can we organise a supernumerary SIG-AWS at the Kubernetes F2F?  Luke
will attend from Weaveworks -- alas I cannot attend this time as it is
everyone's mid-semester children's holidays in the UK, and I'm on a
long-planned trip to Lisbon* with family.

alexis

*) All, I urge you to visit this place.

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Joe Beda <joe@...> wrote:
> I was under the assumption that this was being driven by sig-aws but Stuart
> hasn't been to any meetings and no one there has had any details.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-i0xQidlXnFEP9fXHWkBxqySkXwJnrGJP9OGyP2_P14
>
> What group is stuart working with? When are the meetings? Mailing lists?
>
> Joe
>
> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 9:50 AM Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:
>>
>> On the CNCF side, https://github.com/cncf/images is waiting for its first
>> push, and I can give write access who wants it.
>>
>> On the AWS store side, we had some legal delays because of LF anxiety that
>> this will actually be the first ever object code that the LF has taken
>> responsibility for shipping, and that brings up some patent issues that are
>> unique versus source code. But, I've now worked those out with LF legal, and
>> we will be ready to go live by the end of June (if not sooner), so that we
>> can get the click-through license drafted.
>>
>> So, I would encourage this group to work on the build scripts to assemble
>> one or more AMIs, assuming the interest is still there.
>>
>> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Stuart was driving this but had a personal matter to attend to.
>>>
>>> Would it be ok to schedule an update for a future call?

>> --
>> Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
>> Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
>> tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: CNCF AMIs and Marketplace

alexis richardson

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of Brett
Preston <@bprestonlf>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-images] CNCF AMIs and Marketplace

wrote:

Hello all,

I guess I will get the list kicked off.

As I understand it, the CNCF was in the process of being accepted
as a vendor into the AWS market place. I assume that this step has been
successful?

Do I understand correctly a Kube AMI is the first target? I would
be very interested to learn more about this, the next steps, and how can we
(Bitnami) help? I saw that Joe and Chris were interested in joining forces
as well.

Is there someone where I can read more details that are being
planned?

Cheers, Rick

Brett Preston

The Linux Foundation

+1 (971) 303-9030
@bprestonlf

Google Talk: @bprestonlf

Skype: bprestoncf

Dan Kohn <mailto:@dankohn>

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>

re: CNCF was in the process of being accepted as a vendor into the AWS market place. I assume that this step has been successful?

We just received our acceptance notification. Just finishing up the paperwork then we will be good to go -

Thanks,

Brett

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Rick Spencer <rick@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I guess I will get the list kicked off.

As I understand it, the CNCF was in the process of being accepted as a vendor into the AWS market place. I assume that this step has been successful?

[...]

Dan Kohn

From: <cncf-images-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>

Kris Nova <kris@...>

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...f.io> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...g>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Kris Nova

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: CNCF AMIs and Marketplace

Chris Love

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>

[...]

Aiken, David

Hey folks, just checking in on this. Any update on getting it submitted into Marketplace?

From: <cncf-images-bounces@...> on behalf of Brett Preston <bpreston@...>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM
To: Rick Spencer <rick@...>
Cc: "cncf-images@..." <cncf-images@...>