Date

Helm Governance Doc PR

Matt Farina

When Helm became a part of the CNCF we had to setup a governance structure. We could no longer rely on the Kubernetes governance. To accomplish this we put into place a provisional governance and a plan to create the long term one.

We now have a draft of a proposed governance structure. It is lighter than Kubernetes, more in line with other CNCF projects, but does take into account that Helm is made up of several pieces of software these days.

You can view and comment on the proposal at https://github.com/helm/community/pull/44. After a period of discussion with some possible changes we will be following process 1 in the provincial governance to decide on it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

mattfarina.com

Helm v2.10.0 has been released!

Matt Fisher <matt.fisher@...>

Hey Helmettes!

Helm v2.10.0 has been released! The release notes for the release can be found here: https://github.com/helm/helm/releases/tag/v2.10.0

The core maintainers personally want to take a moment to thank the community for taking the time to continue sharing their ideas and contribute to the Helm ecosystem. From helm/helm’s perspective - excluding merge commits - there was a total of 179 commits this release, 131 of those coming directly from community members. From a communication standpoint, our community has grown to over 5,000 members in the #helm-users channel, #charts and #helm-dev both hit 1,000 members since the last release, and community subprojects like #chartmuseum have over 250 members contributing to the discussion! Those are some insane numbers for any free open source project, and is a great indicator that the Helm ecosystem is healthy, asking questions, mentoring new members, and sharing ideas with the rest of the community. We cannot thank you enough for being awesome!

Happy Friday!

Matt Fisher 🐠

Confirming the email address

nizam037@...

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Matt Farina

I want to say thanks to everyone who gave feedback both here and in other areas on this topic.

We’re going to go with hub.helm.sh and likely setup a redirect from charts.helm.sh to hub.helm.sh.

mattfarina.com

Re: How to create a namespace if it doesn't exists from HELM templates

me@...

With an operator and a CRD?

Sent from my phone

On 10 Aug 2018, at 19:57, via Lists.Cncf.Io <kasunsi=wso2.com@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a `kind: Namespace` template yaml like follows,

    apiVersion: v1
    kind: Namespace
    metadata:
      name: {{ .Values.namespace }}
      namespace: ""

How do I make `helm install` create the above-given namespace (`{{ .Values.namespace }}`) if and only if above namespace (`{{ .Values.namespace }}`) doesn't exits in the pointed kubernets cluster?

Thanks,
Kasun Siyambalapitiya

Kasun Siyambalapitiya
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - http://wso2.com/
lean . enterprise . middleware
Tel : 0715523466
E mail : kasunsi@...

Responded in https://github.com/helm/helm/issues/4456

[...]

Dmitry Shurupov <dmitry.shurupov@...>

+1 for hub.helm.sh as it seems to be the best option (more universal than "charts", more common than "atlas").

Best regards,
Dmitry

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Scott Rigby <scott@...> wrote:

Our question to the community now is: what should we name the new distributed charts hub?

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Savemech <savemech@...>

Why then not charts.helm.sh ?

WBR,
Strukov Anton

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018, 19:09 <rmocius@...> wrote:
+1 for hub.helm.sh

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Rimas

+1 for hub.helm.sh

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Stefanie Arnold

+1 for hub.helm.sh, like docker hub

-Stef

>>> "Josh Dolitsky" <jdolitsky@...> 08/07/18 2:23 PM >>>
+1 for hub.helm.sh. Simple and easy to say/remember.

Josh

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Scott Rigby <scott@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

You may have heard we're working towards moving github.com/helm/charts to a distributed model. This will alleviate many of the concerns about the current monolithic repo, including:

  • Maintainers of specific charts will be able to fully govern their own repos

  • The pull request bottleneck in github.com/helm/charts will also be distributed

  • Distributed charts will now have a central hub that allows users to search all the individually maintained repos

  • For more info, read the full proposal here: https://github.com/helm/community/blob/master/proposals/distributed-search.md

  • Additionally, we are working on a tool to help chart maintainers set up their own repos (more on that to follow in the near future)

Our question to the community now is: what should we name the new distributed charts hub?

Thanks for your input, and as always feel free to chat in kubernetes.slack.com #charts channel.

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Bryan Rosander

Could try to work in commodore

Traditionally, "commodore" is the title for any officer assigned to command more than one ship at a time, much as "captain" is the traditional title for the commanding officer of a single ship.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Help name the new Helm distributed charts search site

Josh Dolitsky

[...]

Scott Rigby

Hi everyone,

You may have heard we're working towards moving github.com/helm/charts to a distributed model. This will alleviate many of the concerns about the current monolithic repo, including:

  • Maintainers of specific charts will be able to fully govern their own repos

  • The pull request bottleneck in github.com/helm/charts will also be distributed

  • Distributed charts will now have a central hub that allows users to search all the individually maintained repos

  • For more info, read the full proposal here: https://github.com/helm/community/blob/master/proposals/distributed-search.md

  • Additionally, we are working on a tool to help chart maintainers set up their own repos (more on that to follow in the near future)

Our question to the community now is: what should we name the new distributed charts hub?

  • hub.helm.sh?

  • charts.helm.sh?

  • atlas.helm.sh?

  • Something else?

Thanks for your input, and as always feel free to chat in kubernetes.slack.com #charts channel.

Re: Moving Helm Repositories

Matt Farina

The charts repo has now been moved to github.com/helm/charts. If there are any issues please let us know.

Note, we may run into places where /ok-to-test needs to be re-added to a PR. This will need to be done by those who are members of the Helm org or are collaborators on the charts repo.

Again, if there are any questions, please let us know.

mattfarina.com

Re: Moving Helm Repositories

Matt Farina

The helm repository has now been moved. It is at github.com/helm/helm. Redirects are in place so that you should not have to make any change in your handling of Helm. If there are any issues or questions please let us know.

mattfarina.com

Re: Creating a Hook that deletes a Pod

wnatasha@...

Hey Vic!

It seems through this Job, it's deleting all the jobs that was a part of installing and deleting this chart.

Although similar, I'm still not sure what is wrong with my defined Job. It's very similar to the example you provided. I'm trying to find a way to uninstall an existing pod that is already created (manually). So to uninstall this pod (that contains the program) I was hoping to use a job with the same image that was used to install the pod, and use a command like "___ uninstall" which would uninstall the created pod when creating the Helm chart and upon deleting after it successfully does this.

Thank you,
Natasha

Moving Helm Repositories

Matt Farina

As part of Helms move to the CNCF we are moving all the repositories under the helm GitHub organization. The move is being tracked via an issue on GitHub at https://github.com/helm/community/issues/28

We are nearly ready to move the helm and charts repositories. These are much higher traffic than the other repos we have. This is a notice that the move is coming soon. If you experience any issues please let us know. Note, we do not plan on moving the helm v2 Go import path.

Once the move of each repository has happened we will follow-up here to let everyone know.

mattfarina.com

Re: Creating a Hook that deletes a Pod

Vic Iglesias

Hey Natasha!

I think this is similar to what you are trying to do albeit as a post-delete:

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM <wnatasha@...> wrote:
I was wondering if there was example code that demonstrates a hook (job) that deletes a pod during pre-deletion.
I've tried implementing it myself, but it seems like it never "succeeds" and results in a time-out error, so it never deletes the pod.
I'm using an image and the commands from the software to do uninstallation.

Thank you,
Natasha

--
Vic Iglesias | Cloud Solutions Architect | viglesias@... | 818-259-1534

Creating a Hook that deletes a Pod

wnatasha@...

I was wondering if there was example code that demonstrates a hook (job) that deletes a pod during pre-deletion.
I've tried implementing it myself, but it seems like it never "succeeds" and results in a time-out error, so it never deletes the pod.
I'm using an image and the commands from the software to do uninstallation.

Thank you,
Natasha

381 - 400 of 454