Date

Re: Org Maintainer Nomination: Martin Hickey

Adam Reese

For that rockstar... +1

From: cncf-helm@... <cncf-helm@...> on behalf of Matt Butcher via lists.cncf.io <matt.butcher=microsoft.com@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 9:51 AM
To: cncf-helm@... <cncf-helm@...>
Cc: MARTIN HICKEY <martin.hickey@...>
Subject: [cncf-helm] Org Maintainer Nomination: Martin Hickey

I would like to nominate Martin Hickey as a Helm org maintainer, as described in the Helm Org Governance document: https://github.com/helm/community/blob/main/governance/governance.md

Martin is a long-standing community member, a maintainer on multiple Helm projects, and an excellent ambassador of the Helm community.

Per the governance documents, this begins the three-week nomination process, which will end on June 15, 2021. At that time, a private Condorcet-style vote will be taken, in which all maintainers for all Helm projects are eligible to vote once. Martin must obtain a 2/3 majority of those that voted.

Happy Helming,

Matt Butcher
Chair, Helm Organization

Re: Org Maintainer Nomination: Martin Hickey

Bridget Kromhout

+1 for Martin! 🌟

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 11:50 AM Josh Dolitsky <jdolitsky@...> wrote:
+1 !

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 12:50 PM Scott Rigby <scott@...> wrote:
+1 💯🎉

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 9:02 AM Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@...> wrote:
Absolutely!  +1

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:15 PM Adnan Abdulhussein <prydonius@...> wrote:
Huge +1 :)

Adnan
On May 25, 2021, 13:56 -0700, Reinhard Nägele <unguiculus@...>, wrote:
+1

--
Bridget

Re: Org Maintainer Nomination: Martin Hickey

Josh Dolitsky

[...]

Scott Rigby

[...]

Marc Khouzam

[...]

Adnan Abdulhussein

[...]

Reinhard Nägele

[...]

Martin Hickey

Hi Matt B.,

Thank you for the nominating me. I would be honoured to accept the nomination.

Thanks Matt F. for informing me of the process.

Regards,
Martin

The next step in the process is that Martin needs to accept. He can do that here on the list. On Tue, May 25, 2021, at 12:51 PM, Matt Butcher via lists.cncf.io wrote: I would like to nominate Martin Hickey as a Helm org maintainer, as described ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
[...]

Matt Farina

[...]

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

+1

On Tue 25. May 2021 at 19:03 Josh Dolitsky <jdolitsky@...> wrote:
Yes, +1

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 11:51 AM Matt Butcher via lists.cncf.io <matt.butcher=microsoft.com@...> wrote:
I would like to nominate Martin Hickey as a Helm org maintainer, as described in the Helm Org Governance document: https://github.com/helm/community/blob/main/governance/governance.md

Martin is a long-standing community member, a maintainer on multiple Helm projects, and an excellent ambassador of the Helm community.

Per the governance documents, this begins the three-week nomination process, which will end on June 15, 2021. At that time, a private Condorcet-style vote will be taken, in which all maintainers for all Helm projects are eligible to vote once. Martin must obtain a 2/3 majority of those that voted.

Happy Helming,

Matt Butcher
Chair, Helm Organization

--
Typed slowly with one finger on my phone. Please forgive any interesting auto-corrections or misunderstanding typos.

[...]

Re: Stepping down as an Org Maintainer

Matt Farina

Vic,

Thanks for all your time and hard work on Helm. We couldn't have pulled off all that charts CI without you. I wish you the best in the projects your working on and the family time.

- Matt Farina

On Wed, May 19, 2021, at 7:00 PM, Vic Iglesias via lists.cncf.io wrote:
Team,

I've been apart from the day to day of Helm, Charts and the rest of the ecosystem for a while now due to many factors but overwhelmingly because of the birth of my wonderful two boys over the last few years and my role change at Google to the PM organization.

My time working with you all has been some of the best I've experienced in my life. It was fulfilling, challenging and most of all extremely fun to be a part of this wonderful community of both developers and users.

Thank you for the memories and for building amazing tools and supporting ecosystems.

I'll still be around the CNCF world and hope to see you all around. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything.

Sincerely,

Vic

Stepping down as an Org Maintainer

Vic Iglesias

Team,

I've been apart from the day to day of Helm, Charts and the rest of the ecosystem for a while now due to many factors but overwhelmingly because of the birth of my wonderful two boys over the last few years and my role change at Google to the PM organization.

My time working with you all has been some of the best I've experienced in my life. It was fulfilling, challenging and most of all extremely fun to be a part of this wonderful community of both developers and users.

Thank you for the memories and for building amazing tools and supporting ecosystems.

I'll still be around the CNCF world and hope to see you all around. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything.

Sincerely,

Vic

[HIP] Dynamic Chart Dependency Overrides

David Mládek <david.mladek.cz@...>

Hello everyone,

Based on discussion in an issue I have decided to write up a HIP for allowing dependency overrides during helm install/update operations.

Details can be seen in the merge request linked below, but this would have to be aimed at Helm v4 because of feature dependency on actual consistent resolving of dependencies during install/update. Otherwise I believe this proposal to be fairly straightforward. Syntax would be similar to `--set`.

https://github.com/helm/community/pull/176

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Best regards,
David Mládek

Re: jsonnet/tanka helm templating

Matt Fisher <matt.fisher@...>

Re-sending as a reply-all.

Hi Andrey,

Have you read through the threads on github? This particular discussion topic has been discussed at length.... Probably once every few months I'd say at least.

I'd highly suggest reading through some of those threads as it may influence many of the design discussions in your HIP.

To clear up some things: Helm 2 had a selectable engine interface since its inception. Chart.yaml provided an optional engine​ field. The Rudder gRPC API made it possible to implement a remote template renderer. But after 5 years of development and advocating it to many community members, nobody wrote an alternative template engine. The engine interface never saw any enhancements, changes, or refactors. So we removed it in Helm 3 as the code had gone stale, and the design did not fit into the new model with Tiller/Rudder being removed.

One primary concern with prior proposals was they did not provide a solution to the "one size fits all" problem. Some proposals argued that a chart could declare the need for an alternative template engine that does not exist in mainline Helm, relying on a "plugin" model to handle template rendering. That discussion led to further debate on how plugins could be resolved, how the API contract will fit in, how the user is expected to install the right rendering engine for their chart, etc.

Discussing your ideas in a HIP would be worthwhile, but I do want you to understand that this topic has been discussed in the past. I look forward to the proposal.

Matt