Date

Re: Distributed Repo Search Status

Kevin Fox

In general, I like the idea of further distributing things out. But, there is a couple aspects you might not have considered.

Some of us, due to particulars of where they work, will find it significantly easier to contribute to a common cncf managed repository rather then hosting something of their own.

The second, being part of the cncf, certain resources can be brought to bare for things like testing. It won't be so easy for some self hosted repositories.

Due to this, I would ask that in addition to the split, that the charts repo be kept. Most of the charts can be split out to their own repositories. The remainder can be kept for those that need to contribute as before.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Possible to set default to Tiller Namespace from Kube-System to the current Kube Context

Kevin Fox

Yes, that would be a useful option for us too.

Distributed Repo Search Status

Matt Farina

Back in July we decided to move to a distributed repository setup for charts  In this setup, people and organizations can self-host repositories meant for public consumption while the Helm project would provide a centralized search. There were a few reasons for this:

  1. Maintaining the stable and incubator repositories has become difficult. It’s difficult for volunteer maintainers to keep up and difficult for people wanting to make changes to charts. We tried numerous changes and added automation but that helped us scale only a little larger. We need to handle a larger scale and faster speeds
  2. We wanted Chart maintainers to be empowered to more easily maintain their charts. Different people want to do things different ways and we wanted to make that possible
  3. Helm was designed with distributed repositories in mind. This has long been part of the design but is often not leveraged
  4. There are many great charts not in the community repositories today and we wanted to make them easier to find. One simple example is Weaveworks Flux

As we near a soft launch in the coming weeks (hopefully) we wanted to start sharing statuses on the progress so people are not surprised and we can fill in needs as they come up.

Since this proposal was accepted the Charts Maintainers have been working to make the distributed search a reality. Here are a few things that have happened:

  • The Kubernetes cluster to host the distributed search is up and running including having DNS setup
  • Monocular 1.0.0 was released (big props to Adnan Abdulhussein). More coming on that soon. This is what will power the distributed search. It is the foundation for hub.kubeapps.com
  • We have started working on guidelines for being listed (feedback is appreciated)
  • We’ve created tools like chart-testing to help people test their charts. This tooling essentially takes the static analysis used by the charts repo and makes it re-usable. This is now the foundation for charts repo static analysis via circleci. More tooling will be coming to help

What will this mean for chart authors? Here are a few things:

  1. You will be able to self host your repos (including on GitHub pages, in ChartMuseum, and even 3rd party services)
  2. If you want to sign charts and use provenance files you can in your repos. There was never a good way to do this for the community repos
  3. Instead of following a community process for releases (e.g., every change including doc fixes cause new versions) you can follow your own process

In the coming weeks we will start to share tools and processes to help people migrate the management of their charts to other locations. The Charts Maintainers are here to help as we want everyone to be setup for success.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

mattfarina.com

Possible to set default to Tiller Namespace from Kube-System to the current Kube Context

chrisduong83@...

I think this would be useful if you deploy each Tiller per Namespace. Thanks

Re: Nominations

Scott Rigby

I accept as well

Re: Nominations

Matt Butcher <matt.butcher@...>

I second both nominations

I would like to nominate Scott Rigby and Josh Dolitsky for Helm Org Maintainers.

Re: Nominations

Josh Dolitsky

I accept the nomination

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
I would like to nominate Scott Rigby and Josh Dolitsky for Helm Org Maintainers.

Nominations

Matt Farina

I would like to nominate Scott Rigby and Josh Dolitsky for Helm Org Maintainers.

Introducing the Helm Org Maintainers

Matt Farina

The voting results are in for the selection of the new Helm Org Maintainers. Thanks to everyone who was involved in the process.

In alphabetical order, by first name, the new Org Maintainers are:
  • Adam Reese (adamreese)
  • Adnan Abdulhussein (prydonius)
  • Matt Butcher (technosophos)
  • Matt Farina (mattfarina)
  • Matt Fisher (bacongobbler)
  • Reinhard Nägele (unguiculus)
  • Vic Iglesias (viglesiasce)

Helm v2.11.0 has been released!

Matt Fisher <matt.fisher@...>

Hey Helmettes,

Helm v2.11.0 - Pumpkin Spice Latte Edition - has been released! Please see the release notes for more information: https://github.com/helm/helm/releases/tag/v2.11.0
The Kubernetes Package Manager. Contribute to helm/helm development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com

Thanks!

1504220459230_microsoft.png

Matthew Fisher, Caffeinated Software Engineer

Microsoft Azure Platform

Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada

Emailmatt.fisher@...

Phone: 1(250)937-1478

Re: Helm override values from external repo

Matt Farina

> Is it possible from helm client to call the file present into the external repo?

What kind of repo are you talking about? An external charts repo? Then no. If the file is web accessible there is the -f / --values flag that can be used. But, be careful about putting your env config in a web accessible location.

Does that help?

Helm override values from external repo

Marcello Lorenzi

Hi All,
we are testing the integration with Helm and an external repo for the charts. Usually we create the chart with the default values.yaml and all the per environment env_values.yaml to override some values. Is it possible from helm client to call the file present into the external repo?

Thanks,
Marcello

Re: I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer

Adam Reese

I accept the nomination

From: <cncf-helm@...> on behalf of "Matt Butcher via Lists.Cncf.Io" <matt.butcher=microsoft.com@...>
Date: Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:58 AM
To: "cncf-helm@..." <cncf-helm@...>
Cc: "cncf-helm@..." <cncf-helm@...>

I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer on behalf of Helm Core.

--
Adnan Abdulhussein
Software Engineer, Bitnami
+1 866 870 2383
@prydonius

Migrate your applications to the cloud - package, deploy, and maintain them with Stacksmith.

Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
Bitnami (c) 2018

Re: I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer

Scott, Justin A <justin.a.scott@...>

+1

From: <cncf-helm@...> on behalf of "Matt Butcher via Lists.Cncf.Io" <matt.butcher=microsoft.com@...>
Date: Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:58 AM
To: "cncf-helm@..." <cncf-helm@...>
Cc: "cncf-helm@..." <cncf-helm@...>

I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer on behalf of Helm Core.

I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer

Matt Butcher <matt.butcher@...>

I nominate Adam Reese (adamreese) as a Helm Org Maintainer on behalf of Helm Core.

Re: Helm Org Nomination: Reinhard Nägele (unguiculus)

Reinhard Nägele

I accept the nomination. Thank you, Adnan.

Adnan Abdulhussein <adnan@...> schrieb am Fr., 14. Sep. 2018, 01:16:

I nominate Reinhard Nägele for Helm Org Maintainership
--
Adnan Abdulhussein
Software Engineer, Bitnami
+1 866 870 2383
@prydonius

Migrate your applications to the cloud - package, deploy, and maintain them with Stacksmith.

Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
Bitnami (c) 2018

Re: Helm Org Nomination: Josh Dolitsky (jdolitsky)

Nikhil Manchanda

+1 from me!

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:35 AM Adnan Abdulhussein <adnan@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:13 AM Josh Dolitsky <jdolitsky@...> wrote:
I accept the nomination. thank you!

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 10:58 AM, <david.genest@...> wrote:
I would like to nominate Josh Dolitsky for the position of Helm Org Maintainers on behalf of the ChartMuseum project.

--
[...]

321 - 340 of 457