Date

Helm not overwrite values

emawata@...

Hello, I am using EKS, I configured the installation for Prometheus, but when trying to overwrite settings does not, I had to modify the configmap manually, mayby something wrong in my yaml file?

serviceAccounts:
   server:
       name: "service-account"
       annotations:
           eks.amazonaws.com/role-arn: arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:role/ServiceAccount-Role
server:
   remoteWrite:
     -
       url: https://aps-workspaces.xx-xxxx-x.amazonaws.com/workspaces/xxxxxxxxxxxx/api/v1/remote_write
       queue_config:
           max_samples_per_send: 1000
           max_shards: 200
           capacity: 2500
       sigv4:
           region: xx-xxxx-x
           role_arn: arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxxxxxxx:role/Role
   statefulSet:
       enabled: "true"

   scrape:
       enabled: true

       scrape_configs:
           - job_name: statsd_metrics
             metrics_path: /metrics
             static_configs:
                - targets: ['xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:9102']

How to prevent dependencies from being updated if no change in chart.yaml

BERCOVITZ David

Hello,

I'm running the following commands in a CI/CD environment:

helm dependency update $DEPLOY_NAME
helm upgrade $DEPLOY_NAME $DEPLOY_NAME -i -f values.yaml ${ADDITIONAL_VALUES_YAML_ARG} -n $VAL_NAMESPACE

I have a chart.yaml like the following:

apiVersion: v2
name: myName
type: application
version: "2.0"
appVersion: "2.0"
dependencies:
    - name: rabbitmq
      alias: rabbitmq
      version: 11.1.1
      repository: https://marketplace.azurecr.io/helm/v1/repo

Each time I run the helm upgrade command from above, pods and containers are recreated in the Kubernetes cluster although the chart.yaml has not changed.
Is there a mean to prevent such behavior and only update the delta?

Thanks
David.

Helm Improvement Proposal - duplicate chart metadata to a ConfigMap

Robert Brennan <robertb@...>

Hi all,

I'd like to open a HIP for a feature request described in this issue: https://github.com/helm/helm/issues/8991

The goal is to allow third-party tooling, like Nova and Pluto, to view metadata about Helm state (release name, version, chart source, etc) without needing RBAC that grants them access to Secrets.

Currently, for Nova and Pluto to do their job, they need Secrets access, which is a huge security concern, and prevents some organizations from adopting them.

If a HIP would be appropriate, I'm happy to flesh out this idea some more and open a PR.

-Robert

--
Robert Brennan | VP of Product Development
Automate, monitor, and enforce Kubernetes best practices

Re: Helm Chart to deploy Ceph RBD Volume

Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox@...>

Not really helm specific in any way...

You can deploy the ceph-csi driver to your k8s cluster (https://github.com/ceph/ceph-csi), point it at your existing ceph cluster, and setup storage classes to make it available to the k8s cluster.

Helm charts can utilize it by selecting an appropriate storage class.

Thanks,
Kevin

From: "Wasim Khan" <wasimcloud91@...>
Sent by: cncf-helm@...
To: cncf-helm@...
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [cncf-helm] Found some issue with helm 3.7.2 .
Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2022 7:39 PM

Hello Team, Found that two releases names having the same names can run within the same namespace. Can some developer folks look into this? Output for reference: helm list -n edfi NAME NAMESPACE REVISION UPDATED STATUS CHART APP VERSION ‍ ‍ ‍ ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Hello Team,

Found that two releases names having the same names can run within the same namespace.

Can some developer folks look into this?

Output for reference:
helm list -n edfi
NAME NAMESPACE REVISION UPDATED STATUS CHART APP VERSION
edfi-connecter edfi 2 2022-01-21 18:09:33.2841518 +0530 IST deployed edfi-0.1.0 1.16.0
edfi-connector edfi 1 2022-02-03 16:33:25.521377174 +0530 IST deployed edfi-connector-0.1.0 1.16.0

helm history edfi-connecter -n edfi
REVISION UPDATED STATUS CHART APP VERSION DESCRIPTION
1 Fri Jan 21 18:04:08 2022 superseded edfi-0.1.0 1.16.0 Install complete
2 Fri Jan 21 18:09:33 2022 deployed edfi-0.1.0 1.16.0 Upgrade complete

and the got release-name got installed with helm upgrade --install release-name -n namespace

Output of helm version:v3.7.2
developer@CGLX-LPT-user11:~$ helm version
version.BuildInfo{Version:"v3.7.2", GitCommit:"663a896f4a815053445eec4153677ddc24a0a361", GitTreeState:"clean", GoVersion:"go1.16.10"}

Output of kubectl version:
developer@CGLX-LPT-user11:~$ kubectl version
Client Version: version.Info{Major:"1", Minor:"22", GitVersion:"v1.22.2", GitCommit:"8b5a19147530eaac9476b0ab82980b4088bbc1b2", GitTreeState:"clean", BuildDate:"2021-09-15T21:38:50Z", GoVersion:"go1.16.8", Compiler:"gc", Platform:"linux/amd64"}
Server Version: version.Info{Major:"1", Minor:"21+", GitVersion:"v1.21.5-eks-bc4871b", GitCommit:"5236faf39f1b7a7dabea8df12726f25608131aa9", GitTreeState:"clean", BuildDate:"2021-10-29T23:32:16Z", GoVersion:"go1.16.8", Compiler:"gc", Platform:"linux/amd64"}

Cloud Provider/Platform (AKS, GKE, Minikube etc.):
AWS EKS

Thanks & Regards,

Wasim Khan

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 at 13:26, Wasim Khan <wasimcloud91@...> wrote:
Thank you Team for your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Wasim Khan

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 at 01:58, conduct <conduct@...> wrote:
Hi Wasim,

This is the Kubernetes Code of Conduct Committee and it looks like the issues you raised our outside of our scope. We recommend reaching out directly to the Helm team via cncf-helm@...

Best regards,
Kubernetes CoCC

On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 6:52:28 AM UTC-8 Wasim Khan wrote:
Hello Team,

Today found that two releases names are running with the same name within same namespace.

[...]

HIP: Introduce a `export-values` feature for mapping values from parent chart to child charts

von Loewenstein, Jan <jan.von.loewenstein@...>

Hi Helm maintainers and Helm users,

we've created a HIP PR (helm/community#/242) for introducing a feature that was originally proposed with helm/helm#3242. There have been multiple attempts to implement this.
However, most if not all of which ended up with a request to explain and document before implementing and in general to follow the Helm Improvement Proposal process, which has never happened.

Thinking that the idea had been discussed multiple times and had not really been questioned substantially, we've skipped the "Start with an idea" phase and went on to directly provide a HIP via PR.

I hope this will not diminish the chance of getting a discussion rolling, get feedback from the community and getting a review from the Helm maintainers.

What is the next step? I'd be happy to discuss our HIP via PR review or in person (well, virtually) if the need arises. Feedback about how we can improve the proposal is most welcome.

Thanks, and bet regards
Jan (but I am merely the messenger)