Re: Helm User Profiles

Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>

Josh,

I might be able to share how this fits...

So, I've come across a use-case for Helm at several different user
sites, enough that it seems to constitute a major use-case:  using Helm
as a minority component of a larger build pipeline.

I can't see how this use-case fits into any of the roles you've already
defined; those roles all seem to have hands-on use of helm in mind.
Which role would this fit into?  I guess I'm looking for something like
"build system architect/maintainer".

What is the build system person doing? Distributing application? Operating applications?

I'll try to illustrate with some examples.

Bitnami maintains some of the community charts. In doing so they have automation that picks up changes to apps and creates different build artifacts. One of those is a PR to the community chart for the changes. There's helm as a minority component in a larger system and it uses automation. The user profile this would fit under is the application distributor.

Another example could be the CI toolchain for the community charts repository. All changes to charts go through a series of analysis, including both static and runtime checks, and helm is one of many tools. It's used within scripts. Again, the user here is that of an application distributor because that's where the community charts fall.

A third example would be someone running a custom application for their company. The CI situation could be similar to that of the community charts but there are also steps to deploy to production. Here we have the role of application operator.

A "build system architect/maintainer" is a real person who is performing some roles described in the user profiles. The "build system architect/maintainer" may do different things depending on the organization they are in or the end goal of that system. Mapping these to the varying ways we work in companies is hard. Breaking them down into composable building blocks is easier.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Matt

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 03/06/2018 10:52 AM, Matt Farina wrote:
> These categories are intended to /include/ those creating their own
> bespoke applications.
>
> The role, which is described in a user profile, for someone developing
> the bespoke application is separate from the role of someone operating
> the application. In some organizations the same physical person will
> perform both roles and it other organizations they will be different
> sets of people.

So, I've come across a use-case for Helm at several different user
sites, enough that it seems to constitute a major use-case:  using Helm
as a minority component of a larger build pipeline.

I can't see how this use-case fits into any of the roles you've already
defined; those roles all seem to have hands-on use of helm in mind.
Which role would this fit into?  I guess I'm looking for something like
"build system architect/maintainer".

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSAS

Go in Practice - A book of Recipes for the Go programming language.

Engineered Web - A blog on cloud computing and web technologies.

Join cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.