From: cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io <cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Paul C <username.taken@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 8:31 AM
To: Anil Kumar
Cc: cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io
Subject: Re: [cncf-helm] Does Helm has a plan to support the complete Operator maturity level?

Check twice before you click! This email originated from outside PNNL.

The complete Operator capability level is a bit of a misnomer and very self serving and are often not operator specific, but assume the operator writer has implemented extra things. There not really much there that a well written Helm Chart can't/won't do.

* Full lifecycle - Assuming the app is fairly cloud native the kube controllers (deployment/statefulset/etc) will manage most failure recoveries, and jobs/cronjobs for backups, and helm hooks for assisting with upgrade tasks.

* Deep insight - this isn't really an operator thing, except for the fact an operator can automatically set up prometheus (and similar) servicemonitors/alerts etc, all things you can do with your helm charts

* Auto Pilot - most of the auto-scaling can be done with kube HPA/VPA and similar techniques, I've seens cronjobs used to do scheduled scaling as well, abnormality detection etc can be done as easily with a sidecar application as it can with an operator.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 3:53 AM Anil Kumar <anil181@gmail.com<mailto:anil181@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Helm Team,

We are using Helm in our product for the deployments and upgrade. We are looking at the next step of introducing the Kubernetes Operator for handling the Day 2 Operations.

Going through this page we see that Helm does not support complete Operator capability level:https://sdk.operatorframework.io/docs/overview/operator-capabilities/<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsdk.operatorframework.io%2Fdocs%2Foverview%2Foperator-capabilities%2F&data=04%7C01%7CKevin.Fox%40pnnl.gov%7C0268ce034cde496114e308d988de8670%7Cd6faa5f90ae240338c0130048a38deeb%7C0%7C0%7C637691312500956290%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=2HAcTqHjb84hpT00bwJ10unC1B4aCUNt44a5JBkafug%3D&reserved=0>

Could someone let me know if Helm has a plan to support the complete Operator maturity level on the roadmap as we see with Ansible and Go.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar

Join cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.