Andrey Tuzhilin <andrei.tuzhilin@...>
I want to make a feature HIP to add jsonnet templating to helm. Specifically, I want helm to have tanka-like functionality with plugged kubernetes libs.
1. go templates have lots of well-knows drawbacks
2. adding "pluggable" engine will have very narrow scope:
- general purpose charts would have to use go templates to stay portable
- you can’t add plugged-in (default) libraries for each and every engine, like tanka std library
3. jsonnet + libs solves two main helm templating problems:
- lots of boilerplate code (labels, annotations, name overrides etc.)
- hard to read error prone yaml + go templates syntax
What do you think?