Re: How to handle experiment of Helm charts in OCI repos when 3.0.0 comes out

Matt Farina

FYI... this was meant to go to the list (per Jimmy in slack) so forwarding on...

----- Original message -----
From: jimmyzelinskie+cncf@...
To: Matt Farina <matt@...>
Subject: Private: Re: [cncf-helm] How to handle experiment of Helm charts in OCI repos when 3.0.0 comes out
Date: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 11:49 AM

Hey there,

I'd like to propose a third option which is to continue the existing work, but hide it from the CLI usage by default. This will allow continued development, but without user confusion. I'd argue that even if you tell people that the functionality is experimental, it'll confuse people unless they have to explicitly opt in somehow (e.g. export an environment variable).

While pulling out into a plug-in is a noble goal, App Registry was stifled a lot by the limitations of the plug-in model, which only compounded the difficulty of getting feature functionality finished. I think getting core functionality implemented first should be the priority and then a later version of Helm could focus development on pulling out as many features as possible into plug-ins.

Join cncf-helm@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.