From: "Justin Cormack via lists.cncf.io" <justin.cormack=docker.com@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Buildpacks incubation public comment period
Date: September 22, 2020 at 10:52:24 AM CDT
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation

I am the TOC sponsor for this project.

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, and all SIGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Justin Cormack

[newsletter] October 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Platform team contributor Dan Thornton!

Resources

[newsletter] November 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community,

KubeCon NA begins November 17 and two of our community members, David Freilich and Natalie Arellano, will give a talk on Production CI/CD with CNBs: Tekton and Gitlab and CircleCI. We hope you can join us to watch them!

As usual, here are some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community

Resources

[team] New Platform Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate David Freilich on becoming a Maintainer of the Platform sub-team.

David is a software engineer at VMware currently residing in Israel. He's made many substantive changes in the Cloud Native Buildpacks ecosystem; most notably, improving Pack’s user experience, making it easier for users to get their hands on it, and greatly improving the code’s test coverage.

David is passionate about clean code, delightful user experiences, and beautiful products. He is excited to make Pack users' first and continued experiences as smooth as possible. In his free time, he enjoys building Magna-Tiles towers for his daughter to destroy.

For more information on the Platform team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo:
https://github.com/buildpacks/community/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

[newsletter] December 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community,

We’ve had an exciting month. The CNCF TOC voted to promote the Buildpacks project to Incubation! This is a significant milestone that celebrates the work of everyone on the team and in the community.

Here are some other updates from the past month:

Releases

RFCs

Community

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Platform team maintainer David Freilich!

Resources

[team] New Implementation Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate Natalie Arellano on becoming a Maintainer of the Implementation sub-team.

Natalie is a software engineer at VMware living in New Jersey. She’s been contributing to Cloud Native Buildpacks for the past year, working with the Lifecycle and Pack - adding test coverage, making improvements to the release process, and implementing new features such as the “lifecycle image” for untrusted builder workflows.

Natalie cares deeply about writing code that is both performant and readable, and enjoys teaching others about the benefits of buildpacks. Most recently, she and Platform Maintainer David Freilich gave a talk at KubeCon NA about using buildpacks in CI/CD systems. In her free time, Natalie can be found running after her 16-month-old daughter.

For more information on the Implementation team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo.

[team] New Distribution Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate Travis Longoria on becoming a Maintainer of the Distribution sub-team.

Travis is a software engineer at Salesforce.com based in Boulder, Colorado. He has contributed to the project since early 2019, and is responsible for implementing many significant pieces of the CNB ecosystem including the Buildpacks CircleCI Orb, the forthcoming Buildpack Registry, and the Pack CLI.

For more information on the Distribution team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo.

[newsletter] January 2021

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. Much of our team took well-deserved time off for the holiday season to recover and recharge, but we still have some great updates to share.

Releases

RFCs

Team

Resources

[newsletter] February 2021

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. It's been a busy month, and we’d like to share some updates about what we've worked on, as well as some great useful content:

Releases

RFCs

Community

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Implementation team maintainer Jesse Brown!

Resources

[team] New Implementation Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate Jesse Brown on becoming a Maintainer of the Implementation sub-team.

Jesse is a software engineer at Salesforce.com based in Memphis, TN. He's been a contributor to Cloud Native Buildpacks since 2019--participating in working groups, RFCs, and some code changes along the way.

Jesse is driven by great developer experiences, testing, and performance.

For more information on the Distribution team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo.

CNB Roadmap 2021 Ideas

hone02@...

Hello,

The leadership team is collecting feedback from the community to help influence our roadmap for 2021. Please chime in if you have thoughts or ideas on GitHub Discussions: https://github.com/buildpacks/community/discussions/62

Cheers,
Terence

Announcing the Buildpack Registry

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project is excited to announce that the Buildpack Registry is now generally available. The Registry is a place to search for buildpacks created by our community members, and also a place where you can publish your own buildpacks.

You can read about the registry in our launch announcement blog post, or you can check the documentation to learn how to use it.

We look forward to seeing what buildpacks you build!

Cheers,
The Buildpacks Team

[newsletter] March 2021

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Distribution team contributor Daniel Bryant!

  • Congratulations to our newest Learning team contributor Sambhav Kothari!

Resources

Project Ideas for Mentees

Joe Kutner

In anticipation of some mentorship opportunities (including Google Summer of Code), I created a few documents that capture potential projects that people in the community could work on. These are all things I'd be happy to mentor folks with:

Cheers,
Joe Kutner

[newsletter] April 2021

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community,

Last month we released our project roadmap for 2021. Our theme this year is Sustainable Growth, which you can read about in our 2021 Roadmap blog. And as usual, here are some other updates from the past month:

Releases

RFCs
Community
Resources