Date

[newsletter] January 2021

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. Much of our team took well-deserved time off for the holiday season to recover and recharge, but we still have some great updates to share.

Releases

RFCs

Team

Resources

[team] New Distribution Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate Travis Longoria on becoming a Maintainer of the Distribution sub-team.

Travis is a software engineer at Salesforce.com based in Boulder, Colorado. He has contributed to the project since early 2019, and is responsible for implementing many significant pieces of the CNB ecosystem including the Buildpacks CircleCI Orb, the forthcoming Buildpack Registry, and the Pack CLI.

For more information on the Distribution team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo.

[team] New Implementation Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate Natalie Arellano on becoming a Maintainer of the Implementation sub-team.

Natalie is a software engineer at VMware living in New Jersey. She’s been contributing to Cloud Native Buildpacks for the past year, working with the Lifecycle and Pack - adding test coverage, making improvements to the release process, and implementing new features such as the “lifecycle image” for untrusted builder workflows.

Natalie cares deeply about writing code that is both performant and readable, and enjoys teaching others about the benefits of buildpacks. Most recently, she and Platform Maintainer David Freilich gave a talk at KubeCon NA about using buildpacks in CI/CD systems. In her free time, Natalie can be found running after her 16-month-old daughter.

For more information on the Implementation team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo.

[newsletter] December 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community,

We’ve had an exciting month. The CNCF TOC voted to promote the Buildpacks project to Incubation! This is a significant milestone that celebrates the work of everyone on the team and in the community.

Here are some other updates from the past month:

Releases

RFCs

Community

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Platform team maintainer David Freilich!

Resources

[team] New Platform Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks project would like to congratulate David Freilich on becoming a Maintainer of the Platform sub-team.

David is a software engineer at VMware currently residing in Israel. He's made many substantive changes in the Cloud Native Buildpacks ecosystem; most notably, improving Pack’s user experience, making it easier for users to get their hands on it, and greatly improving the code’s test coverage.

David is passionate about clean code, delightful user experiences, and beautiful products. He is excited to make Pack users' first and continued experiences as smooth as possible. In his free time, he enjoys building Magna-Tiles towers for his daughter to destroy.

For more information on the Platform team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo:
https://github.com/buildpacks/community/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

[newsletter] November 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community,

KubeCon NA begins November 17 and two of our community members, David Freilich and Natalie Arellano, will give a talk on Production CI/CD with CNBs: Tekton and Gitlab and CircleCI. We hope you can join us to watch them!

As usual, here are some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community

Resources

[newsletter] October 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Team

  • Congratulations to our newest Platform team contributor Dan Thornton!

Resources

[cncf-toc] Buildpacks incubation public comment period

Joe Kutner

If you're using Buildpacks please share your experience with the TOC by replying to the thread at:

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Justin Cormack via lists.cncf.io" <justin.cormack=docker.com@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Buildpacks incubation public comment period
Date: September 22, 2020 at 10:52:24 AM CDT
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation

I am the TOC sponsor for this project.

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, and all SIGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Justin Cormack

[newsletter] September 2020

Joe Kutner

Welcome Yael Harel to the Implementation Team

Joe Kutner

Congratulations to Yael Harel, our newest Implementation Team contributor! Thank you Yael for your substantive contributions to the lifecycle and your thoughtful feedback on recent changes to the specification. We are excited to have you on the team.

[newsletter] August 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We'd like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community

Resources

[newsletter] July 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community

Team

Resources

Primary branch name changed to "main" for all repos

Joe Kutner

As part of our commitment to being an inclusive and welcoming community, we've renamed the primary branch on all https://github.com/buildpacks repos to "main".

Our Homebrew tap for Pack should continue to work. But if you're experiencing problems, please retap by running:

$ brew untap buildpacks/tap
$ brew tap buildpacks/tap
$ brew upgrade pack

Please let us know if you encounter any other issues.

Cheers,
The CNB team

[newsletter] June 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. Last month was busy, and we’ve got a lot to share!

Releases

RFCs

Community

Resources

Request for End-Users

Joe Kutner

Hello Community,

We're in the process of becoming a CNCF Incubating project. As part of this, we need to create a list of users. We've listed plenty of platforms integrating the CNB lifecycle, but we're now looking for end-users.

If you're a person or company that either builds applications with buildpacks or creates buildpacks using the specification and would like to be listed in the TOC due diligence docs (we won't advertise your usage beyond this document without your consent) please reach out.

You can email me directly, DM me on Slack, or open a PR against

Cheers,
The CNB team

[newsletter] May 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

Community
  • Paketo Buildpacks, which are implementations of the CNB spec, were launched by the Cloud Foundry Project. Learn more at https://paketo.io/
  • There’s a new Tilt Extension for Pack. Tilt manages local development instances for teams that deploy to Kubernetes.

Resources

Welcome Emily Casey to the Core Team

Joe Kutner

The Cloud Native Buildpacks project would like to welcome Emily Casey to the CNB core team.

Emily has worked on the project since its inception, and is a maintainer on both the Platform and Implementation teams. She is the top committer to both the Pack CLI and the CNB Lifecycle with more than 460,000 lines of code contributed. You can find Emily on Twitter[1] and LinkedIn[2].

Thank you for all the work you've done Emily, and welcome to the team.

[1] https://twitter.com/ekcassette
[2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/emily-casey-a30027aa/

[newsletter] April 2020

Joe Kutner

Hello Buildpacks community. We’d like to share some updates from the past month.

Releases

RFCs

  • Finalized RFC-0029: Buildpack homepage

  • Finalized RFC-0030: RFC template changes

  • Finalized RFC-0031: Defining Mixins for io.buildpacks.stacks.bionic

  • Final Comment Period for PR #66: Update JSON schema in CNB Registry

Community

Resources

Please reach out to us if there’s something you’d like us to include in next month’s newsletter.

Platform API 0.3

Javier Romero <jromero@...>

Summary

New platform API 0.3 will be available after the release of lifecycle 0.7.0.

Platform API 0.3 comes with the following changes:

  1. Added support for project-metadata.toml. (#230)

  2. Added support for /lifecycle/creator. (#243)

  3. Added support for -process-type flag. (#260)

  4. [Breaking] Removal of the -helpers flag. (#259)

Platforms

In general, platforms should ensure that they support the stated changes to be compliant with Platform API 0.3.

Tekton

An update to the Tekton task will be available per issue #194.

pack

Added support for Platform API 0.3

pack will be compatible with Platform API 0.3 although it will not yet take advantage of all the new features. (#509)

Dropping support of Platform API 0.1

The platform team aims to always provide support for n-1 of the platform API and buildpack API versions. Given that a new platform API version (0.3) is available, we found it reasonable to drop support for platform API 0.1. (#509)

For more detail on what the changes are between platform API 0.1 and 0.2 please refer to the prior notice.

Builders

No impact to builders is expected.

Buildpacks

No impact to buildpacks is expected.

New Learning Maintainer

Joe Kutner

The Buildpacks team would like to welcome Javier Romero as a Learning Maintainer. Javier is already a Platform Maintainer, but will now also help with maintenance of our Learning repositories. For more information on the Learning team and the project's governance, please see our Community Github Repo:
https://github.com/buildpacks/community/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

1 - 20 of 29